Tuesday, April 7, 2015

Update from the doctor...

So I had a big doctor's appointment today. I will be 32 weeks on Thursday so this was my 32 week (8 months) check up and growth scan for the twins!

32 weeks is a milestone! Making it to this point means I can take a deep breath and check off several risk factors. If I went into labor tonight the babies would need some time in the NICU still but chances are we wouldn't have any major issues or hurdles. 

Obviously we want them to stay in for longer but it's nice to know that at this point we can relax a little. It also means I am on official labor watch. My cervix is holding at about 3.5 cm which my doctor credits to my bed rest. As boring as it is - if it keeps these babies in and growing I'm all for it. 

At this point, if I show any signs of labor I am to go right to the Labor & Delivery unit at the hospital. I also have my hospital bag and the bag for the babies packed and ready to go. I can't believe it's that time! 

The doctor I saw today doesn't seem to think I will have to be induced and selfishly I hope not! I'm pretty uncomfortable at this point. Which makes sense when they measured the babies this week!

Lawton is measuring at 31 weeks 4 days and weighs in at 3lbs 15oz. The ultrasound tech said she's probably at 4lbs but she keeps her head buried down low making it hard to get a perfect measurement. Anderson is measuring at 32 weeks and is tipping the scales at 4lbs 7oz. If you're counting that means I have 8lbs 6oz of baby in my stomach! No wonder I've gotten so uncomfortable in the last two weeks. That's almost what Jake weighed when he was born at 42 weeks!

The babies look great and the doctor was happy with their development and growth. They also are happy with me for the most point. My blood pressure was good but I haven't gained any weight in two weeks. The babies have which means I've lost more. We went over my diet and they are encouraging me to continue increasing my calories. That being said my vitals are strong and my blood looks good so they want me to just do what I can. I'm telling you - I'm eating and having dessert every night. If the twins would rather suck the fat from my thighs I can't be mad at that ;) ha!

Also - I start going to the doctor weekly now!  Each week they will check me for labor signs, take my vitals, and monitor the babies through NSTs (non-stress tests). I will be able to tell you more about these next week but my understanding is that they will hook me up to monitors on each baby and watch how their hearts react to contractions. Exciting because it means we are getting closer!!!

I do want to take a minute to just acknowledge how thankful I am for this pregnancy. So far it's been an "easy" twin pregnancy and I feel so greatful for that. We prayed and prayed not just for these babies but that God would give us what we could handle and what my body could handle and He answered those prayers. Obviously we are continuing to pray and I will ask that you do as well. Pray that this last month of pregnancy remains healthy for both me and the babies, that when the time comes I have the strength to deliver these little loves safely. Pray that they are strong and healthy and arrive in our arms safely. That the doctors in charge of our care are steadfast and accurate doing what keeps the babies and I healthy. I can't wait to announce their arrival and I can't thank you enough for your love and support!

No comments:

Post a Comment