Wednesday, October 9, 2013

I made it!

It's Wednesday morning which means I am home and surgery is over! Praise God! Yesterday was nuts, so forgive me if this post gets a little drawn out...
Mike and I had to be at the hospital at 7:15am Tuesday morning. So we woke up at 5:45 and I took a shower, put pajama's on and got ready to go. Jake doesn't have to be to school until 8:30 so we took him over to the in-laws, and they later took him to school for us.
We got to the hospital on time and then it turned into hurry up and wait. We sat in the waiting room for about 45 minutes which was fine, then they called me back to get my vitals and have me change and get into a bed. Since I wasn't allowed to eat or drink since midnight, they hooked me up to an IV to keep me hydrated. Once all of that was done, they called Mike back to come sit with me. We were there for probably 2 hours, which wasn't anyone’s fault. Dr. Jaffe was in surgery and it ran over. However, laying in that bed, being still, for that long really let my nerves take over. I got so anxious and shaky, tears started streaming down my face. I have been pretty good about all of this until that moment. Mike just kept reminding me I would be fine and I calmed down eventually. I did so much better as long as people kept talking to me or asking me questions. Nurses would come in and out - I kept being introduced to nurses, and doctors that would be there... It gets to a point where it's almost overwhelming, which was good for me because it didn't allow me to dwell on the surgery.
Mike's mom came down to the hospital and sat with Mike the entire time. I was so thankful that she did. I know it relaxed Mike some and gave him someone to talk to. She also came back with Mike and I so she was another thing to focus on, other than my surgery.
Finally, the anesthesiologist came in and started my medicine, from that point on things get a little hazy. I remember them wheeling my in to the room and then all goes dark. I was wound up so tight and so sleepy that I think the little bit of anesthesia was enough to make me fall asleep. The next thing I knew I was waking up in a room with a nurse calling my name. They told me I was all done and that everything went really well. I wasn't in any pain, but I did notice my left hand was giant. Did you ever, as a child, blow up a latex glove into a balloon? Yeah? That was/is my hand. My fingers are normal but my palm is GIANT. It's sort of comical. They told me it was a reaction to the anesthesia and was no big deal, so I'm not worried about it. It has gone down some, and if it's not noticeably better by tomorrow I will probably call my doctor.
Once I was awake (enough) they wheeled me into a room and brought back Mike and his mom. We sat there for a bit and they brought me water and graham crackers. They said I would be released once I could go to the bathroom, so I tried to get up and go, but I got super dizzy and nauseous so I decided to wait a little longer. The nurse gave me some meds for the nausea and I laid back down.
Dr. Jaffe (my doctor) had numerous surgeries that day so I didn't have a chance to see her post surgery, but Mike and my mother in law did! She pulled them into a consultation room and told them about the surgery. I am sure I will mess some of this up, since they told me about it when I was still a little high from the medicine, but I will know a lot more after my post-op when I get to hear all of it. What I got from Mike and my mother in law was that the surgery was really successful! My ovaries were stuck to my bowels apparently, due to scar tissue! That sounds crazy to me so I just kept asking my husband and MIL, "to my bowels?" lol. They just kept telling me yes, and I just kept asking. Anyway, Mike said the doctor feels really confident that she found and fixed the problem and she really thinks I will be ovulating in no time!!!!!!!!!! AHHHHHH! That is SUCH good news. I am so excited. As crazy as it may seem, I kept praying that she would get in there and really be able to figure out what was going on. Obviously, there was no guarantee of that pre surgery, and I was starting to have doubts. No one wants to go through surgery for nothing, right? Also, quite honestly, after 3 years of this without much result, you start to feel a little cray cray. Like, maybe it's all in my head. Or maybe they will never find the solution. This whole thing has renewed my hope and I am excited!
Thank you so much for your thoughts and prayers! I felt so much love through all of this and I can't wait to see what’s next!
xoxo

Here's a picture of my hand! Yikes!

No comments:

Post a Comment