Thursday, October 3, 2013

I Have a New Nephew...

Monday night I got a text from my mom telling me my older sister, Jessica had successfully delivered baby number 5! Jessica already has 4 boys, and she doesn't know the sex before her babies are born so we were all anxiously awaiting to see what number 5 would be...

Whelp! It's another boy!! Can you believe that? 5 boys! Her grandmother had 5 boys too - you have to be tough to raise 5 boys.

Clearly, Jessica doesn't experience the fertility issues I do ;) She is pretty hard core when it comes to labor. Being that she's been through this 5 times now, I feel like she's done it all. Hospital birth with meds, without meds, emergency C-section, and then 2 natural home births. I can't tell you how much I admire her. That being said, we all sort of thought baby #5 would be a seemingly easy natural birth. I know I know, easy and natural aren't words that most women think of when they think of a natural birth - I'm using these as relative terms :) So when Jessica went into labor last Friday, I think she thought she'd have a baby that weekend...
Nope! She went through 4 days (that number 4 is NOT a typo) of natural labor. 4 DAYS! She was 10cm dilated for a LONG time - when I finally got to talk to her yesterday she told me it was crazy. She felt like it was never going to end, and at one point she was ready to give up and head for the hospital. Obviously, if she would have it would have been an emergency C-section. After encouragement from her husband and the midwives she decided to hold out a little longer.

While she was telling me this story I just kept saying "whoa" "oh my gosh" "wow". As Monday went on, labor finally started progressing, and for the first time she felt the urge to push! After an intense 4 days of labor I couldn't believe she could go on anymore. Long(er) story short, Baby #5 is here! He's a chunk at about 9lbs - which is like 10% of my sisters body weight - and I can't wait to go see him! I want to have a natural child birth when we are fortunate enough to get pregnant again. I feel like after all this effort to get pregnant and all the prayer and waiting, I want to live in every minute of it. That being said, I pray that it doesn't last 4 whole days and nights. Oy Vey!

When I was on the phone with her, he started to cry and tears filled my eyes. Not sad tears, but tears that remind me of how bad I want to hear our baby cry. I know that sounds weird, but I can't wait for the day I hear our baby cry, or laugh, or coo, or make those little grunt noises. I have so many mommy friends with new babies that are doing anything they can to get their baby to stop crying and I get it. I've been there, but I can tell you this next time, I will relish in those moments. I never thought my heart would ache for the sound of a newborn baby cry, but it totally does. With Jake, those moments feel so far away, and while now our moments are just as precious to me, they are very different. Shoot , these days I'm lucky to get a public kiss goodbye or a snuggle on the couch! All I can say to the mommas with young babies are the words to a country song I love - "You're gonna miss this, you're gonna want this back".

I am trying to plan a trip to Savannah VERY soon so I can go love on him for a day or two. I can't wait to smell that sweet new baby smell. Lucky for me in about 2 months, my sweet sister-in-law will be having her 2nd child, a boy, and I can promise you I'll be loving on that baby every chance I get!

xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment