Thursday, January 8, 2015

A Little Background Info on Our Twins!

We get a lot of questions about the twins and my pregnancy (which we love talking about) but it made me realize that I have never done a Q&A with the common questions we get. SO, here goes! Hopefully this gives you a little insight and if there are any questions you have that I don't touch on, leave them in the comments and I will answer away!

When is your due date? June 4th, 2015 - but we know we won't make it to June. A twin pregnancy is considered full term right around 36 weeks. Most doctor's don't want moms to go past 38 weeks due to increased risks of complications. Most women don't make it past 37 weeks naturally.
If I haven't already gone into labor, we will be induced at 38 weeks - which puts us at May 21st (my birthday).

What are the sexes of the twins? Baby A is a girl and Baby B is a boy! We are overjoyed!

How do you know which is A is which is B? The doctors determined which is which. but Baby A is the baby closest to the cervix. She would be born first naturally and is known as the lead twin. Baby B is right behind her in the birthing order.

Are the twins identical or fraternal? Our twins are fraternal. We know this, because they are male/female. Identical twins share identical DNA and your sex is defined by your DNA so no identical twins can be opposite sex. To some, this may seem obvious - but we get this questions a lot and it made me realize that if you have never had twins, or don't really know any on a personal level you would probably not ever think about this. No dumb questions! :)

How do twins happen? Well, identical twins are the result of one fertilized egg splitting into two. Fraternal twins are the result of more than one egg being fertilized. In our case, our doctor (through IVF) transferred two fertilized eggs back into my uterus. This is no guarantee of twins as they both have to successfully implant and continue growing. Even with putting two embryos back we only had about a 25-30% chance of twins.

Do twins run in your family? Yes, they do. Mike's mom is a twin, and apparently there are twins on my side of the family as well. That being said, twins aren't actually genetic. At least not identical twins. Twins are a (most wonderful) glitch in the system as far as research shows. Some studies show that women can be inclined to be hyper-ovulators which could be a common trait passed down from one generation to the next. That would result in ovulating more than one viable egg at a time which would result in fraternal twins.

Do they share a placenta? Our twins are what is known as Dichorionic/Diamniotic twins. This means that each twin has their own placenta, amniotic sac, and chorion. This is the safest type of twins to carry during pregnancy. They are growing as two separate babies and the only thing they share is the womb. You can read about the other types of twins here or by googling it. That being said, the membrane - or lining - between our babies is about the thickness of a plastic grocery bag. They are also very close to one another so they feel each other's movements constantly. Every kick, punch, hiccup, etc.

Are you having a c-section? We honestly don't know. That really isn't up to us. I can tell you that I am praying that I will be able to deliver these babies naturally every single day. That being said, there isn't much I can do to control that either way. The twins will have to be in the correct positions (head down) which they currently are. The babies will need to be healthy and strong - so far so good. The risks with twin pregnancy is much higher than with a single baby, but a lot of the factors that determine a need for a c-section are the same. If the babies are healthy and in position, and we have no known additional risks we will do our best to have them naturally. I am trying to mentally prepare myself either way. It also requires me to put a lot of my trust in the team of people that will be taking care of me. If you are willing to pray for us, please pray for the medical team as well as for Mike and I to make the best decisions for the well being of the babies and me.

Does this pregnancy feel differently than your singleton pregnancy? Oh yeah! Jake's pregnancy was easy. I didn't begin to feel uncomfortable until the last 5-6 weeks. With these two I am beginning to feel that way now at 19 weeks. My belly is much heavier, my symptoms are stronger, and my body is adjusting, just not as gracefully. I feel, personally, like I am about 8-10 weeks ahead as far as where I felt with Jake. Now, I am 8 years older and I started out in better shape with Jake but nothing drastic. I also began showing a lot sooner with this pregnancy than I did with Jake which was to be expected. I know I have a long road ahead and this pregnancy won't be as easy. That being said I don't take it for granted. I feel so incredibly blessed to be where I am.

Will the twins have to spend time in the NICU? I hope not. We won't know this until we get closer to their arrival. If they come early or have any health issues than they will more than likely have to spend some time in the NICU. If they are born "full term" for twins and seem to be healthy than no. While no mom wants to see her babies need additional medical care, I am confident in the NICU staff. Those are men and women who have devoted their professional lives to caring for babies and seeing them thrive. I know that is their ultimate goal and I have faith that they will do everything they can to care for our babies if needed. I think the hardest part for me would be the constant worry combined with the fact that at some point I could be discharged and have to leave without my babies in my arms. That makes me feel panicky - but Mike has been really good about reminding me that we will cross that bridge when we are forced to.

Are you nervous about caring for two? Sometimes. I won't lie. It's been a long time since we've had a newborn and never since we've had two. That being said, I am pretty confident that we will manage. Mike is a hands on dad. He isn't afraid of a dirty diaper and as we get closer his excitement is growing. We also have a lot of support. Between Mike's family, mine, and our friends, we both know that if we need anything help is a phone call away. The hardest part for me will be to take advantage of my breaks. When the twins are sleeping I need to be too. So, if you come to visit us and it looks like the house is a war zone just know our babies are loved and momma is taking naps! :)

Are you excited about caring for two?  Absolutely. We have been dreaming of this time for the last 6 years. Infertility sucked and the only thing that kept us going was the faith that it would all work out. We can't wait to meet our babies and bring them into our family. I am also incredibly excited to experience twins. I know it won't always be easy, but from the books and YouTube videos and other twin parents - I am so excited to experience the bond that they will share with each other. Whenever I start to panic about their arrival I remind myself of what a blessing they will be.

Is Jake (our 8 year old) excited? Yes, very much so. He also has become my little nurse. Constantly checking on me, seeing if I need anything. Asking about the babies. Part of me wonders if I'm doing enough to brace him for impact. He has been our only child for 8 years and I think we are all more used to that then we realize. I know there will be some growing pains for him, but I know he is dying for siblings too. We will all adjust as needed and Mike and I have talked a lot about making sure he gets time with us without the babies.


So there it is. Everything I could think of that people frequently ask in one place. Like I said, if there are more questions you want to ask publicly leave a comment. If you have anything you'd like to ask privately reach out to me on the blog's facebook page. Thank you so much for reading and for all of the sweet notes we get from y'all. Our hearts are so full!






No comments:

Post a Comment