Thursday, February 12, 2015

24 week update...




Sorry for another bathroom selfie - sometimes it's easier. ;)
Fun fact: at 24 weeks I am measuring at what the average 34 week single pregnancy looks like.
Can you imagine another 10 weeks from now?! My poor back!
How far along? 24 weeks - which is a milestone because it means I am in month number 6 and I have hit viability! Viability means that the babies have reached the point of development were they *could* (with a lot of medical help) survive if God forbid something happened and they had to come now. Obviously this is not what anyone wants. They still need at least another 10 weeks in my oven womb. That being said, it is nice knowing that they have reached this critical stage.
 
Infertility really can change the way you view a pregnancy. With Jake, I didn't understand how precious a healthy pregnancy is. My pregnancy with him was textbook, easy and no drama. After going through a miscarriage and 5 years of trying I have been a little more on-edge this time around. Hitting this stage of pregnancy allows me to take a deep breath. While we still have a long way to go, the boost of confidence in my body's ability to carry them to viability makes me feel better.

Total weight gain: Tuesday was my 24 week check up and from last month's weigh in I am up 8 pounds for a total gain of 11 pounds. The doctor was pleased that I've caught up some and says that from here on I should expect to gain somewhere between 1-3 pounds per week. They also cautioned me not to freak out if it gets to be more because the twins are packing on the pounds themselves!

Sleep: Sleep has actually been a little better this week. Honestly, I think it's because the days are getting harder, so by the time it gets to bedtime my body just collapses into sleep. I'll take it. I'm still getting up at night to visit my home away from home (the bathroom) but I fall right back to sleep so it's fine.

How big are the twins this week? Big enough to be weighed via the ultrasound! Another fun milestone! Lawton weighed in at 1 pound 5 ounces this week and Anderson at 1 pound 8 ounces. I still have to just pinch my self. This doesn't seem like it's really my life. I am just so thankful that these two are growing like little weeds!

Peak of the week: Hearing how well the three of us are progressing through this pregnancy was pretty nice. My cervix is sitting strong and supporting the babies, they are growing right on track and all measurements are good. Seeing them on the screen is amazing and I feel spoiled that I get an ultrasound at every appointment. Aside from the babies, I have to brag on Jake for a minute. He has been so wonderful this week. Stepping it up on chores, not arguing, the past 3 days he's gotten up, gotten dressed, fixed his own breakfast and packed his lunch for school. This is a big deal to any mom who's kid reaches this age of independance, but even more so to those of us who have children that aren't exactly morning-people. I keep telling him how much it means to me that he is such a big helper! Another big change for us - Mike has accepted a new job opportunity and is leaving Disney. While it is bittersweet and a little nerve wracking I am so excited for him and proud of what he's done to get himself here. He is going to learn a lot at his new job and he got a well deserved promotion. It will take some adjusting and we will be in a period of shiffting as we see how life will adjust around his new job, but I really feel like God answered some prayers for us with this one. We are both trusting that things will work out just as they are intended!

Pit of the week: This week has been pretty good. I've felt less hormonal and more rational. I don't have a real "pit" this week so for that I am thankful! 


Miss Anything? Oh you know, just all the stuff I can't have or do. Italian subs, raw tuna, mountain dew, roller coasters... sometimes I swear I want these things just because I can't have them...

Cravings: anything sugary, of course - since my glucose test is next month.

Symptoms/Labor signs: Stretching, tight skin. Achy muscles in my hips and back. Braxton Hicks... luckily though - no signs of pre-term labor.

Looking forward to: A 3-day weekend! I can't wait to sleep in on Monday morning.

Here are some pictures of Anderson and Lawton from our scan on Tuesday...

The twins <3
 
 
Lawton's sweet face (forehead to the left chin to the right - the two whiter lines are her nose)
Anderson smiling and waving to the camera (forehead to the right chin to the left - again you can see his nose)

Lawton's profile
Anderson's profile and his hand right at his mouth
Lawton's baby feet!

 
Last night I had such a vivid dream of meeting these two for the first time. Seeing them as the specific, made just for us and of us babies. Babies that I wasn't sure I would ever have again. Babies that God knew personally though all of this. Babies He intended for us to hold. I can't explain to you in words what that really feels like. I can't wait to hold them, for Mike to hold them, for Jake to hold them. Our sweet babies!

No comments:

Post a Comment