Tuesday, April 8, 2014

Implantation...

Just about every month, since we began fertility treatments, I have learned something new about infertility, fertility, baby making, whatver you want to call it. First and foremost, as I have mentioned before, it has given me a whole new respect for the miracle that is growing a person inside your lady-bits.

Seriously, I don't think most people fully apprectiate what has to happen in order for a woman to become pregnant. It is SO complicated. The "birds and the bees" doesn't even scratch the surface. When you really get into what the female body does each month... whew! No wonder we are tired all the time! It blows my mind how complex and exact it is, and how someone can witness that and not believe in a higher power is just insane to me.

Granted, if I was able to pop babies out like some other people I may not appreciate it all the way I do, mostly because I probably wouldn't have taken the time to learn about it in such detail.

Anywho, this month has been a big learning month for me. We completed our first IUI (fingers crossed) so that was certainly educational ;) and yesterday I went in for some follow up bloodwork. Nothing overly exciting, but they tested my progesterone levels. Progesterone is a hormone you begin producing post ovulation. It ticks up each day, and carries on through your pregnancy. If you aren't pregnant, your bodies tells itself to stop producing the hormone and your lovely period begins. Progesterone is KEY in maintaining a healthy pregnancy. It is vital to your body's ability to sustain and nourish fetal development.

Often times, women with fertility issues have low progesterone. While I never had an issue with Jake, I have to think of everything as brand new because my body is SO different now then it was then in regards to my reproductive organs, and the size of my hips, and thighs, and stomach.. ok so a lot is different from 20 year old Jordan to now. Everything is new to me.

That being said, I just assumed my progesterone would be fine. The nurse called after lunch time with results from my bloodwork. She said I did ovulate (that's another thing progesterone tells us) but that my levels were a little low. They would like them to be a 10 or higher and mine were a 9. I asked if that meant I wasn't pregnant and she told me, "absolutely not". Progesterone tells us a lot of things, but it isn't an indicator of pregnancy. She did explain that while it doesn't have much negative effect now, if I am pregnant, low progesterone is dangerous so they like to get ahead of the curve and boost it. Guess what that means?!.... Another medicine. A pill to be exact, except this one isn't taken oraly if you catch my drift. This is a progesterone pill and I have to take it each night before I go to sleep, similar to that of a monistat pill. ;) So while she was telling me all of this, she said "that way, when/if the fertalized egg implants your levels will be nice and high" which was interesting to me because I had assumed either I had or hadn't already implanted.

I don't know why, exactly, but I just thought implantation happened like a day or two after fertilization. Not true! It typically happens between 7-9 DPO (days past ovulation) - with the most probable day being tomorrow! It's crazy to be this involved in the daily steps of becoming pregnant. Living in the moment, knowing I could be growing a sweet baby right now. It is a double edged sword for sure, but I'm ok with that. I am giving all of this up to God. He know's how much we want this. My time for this month isn't up yet. There is still a lot of work left to be done. I will be taking my pills, praying, and counting down the days. If ever I have asked for prayer, I am asking for it now. If this isn't our month, so be it. I will continue on, continue to fight and pray and learn. For now I am hopeful and optimistic, waiting to see two lines on that test. <3

No comments:

Post a Comment